Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Internet Scams

Help Prevent Your Facebook Account from Being Hacked in 3 Easy Steps


Think Before You Click - Is That Free Coffee or a Scam?

...
Too often I see some of my own Facebook acquaintances fall for things like "Share this post if you like Starbucks and want a $50 gift card." In fact, just last week one of my Facebook acquaintances fell for the "Free Southwest Airlines tickets" scam. While it's true that companies do use Facebook for promotions, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. A tell tale sign that a promotion is a scam is if the promotion wants to install an app that asks to access your Facebook information. Unfortunately, not all scams are that obvious. The Better Business Bureau does a good job of keeping track of common social media scams. The next time you see a promotion on Facebook that sounds too good to be true, check the BBB's list of scam alerts before proceeding.
(This post from Free Technology for Teachers blogger Richard Byrne)

To Do:

  • Take a look at the latest list of Internet scams and see if you recognize any of them.



11 comments:

  1. I recognize the free Ipad,Superbowl scams and free South West Airline tickets too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a scam were you go into a site and it says your the 10000Th person to visit this site but the next week I went to the same site and it said the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen the airline tickets and the super bowl ticket stuff to. What the guy trying to pull on us seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recognize only the iPad one because I have gotten emails about that before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only ones I have encountered would be on the internet. There have been times where it has said that I won an Ipad or a new computer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recognize the super bowl tickets and the South West Airline ticket scam too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen scams about receiving a free iPad, but I never click on it, because I know it isn't real.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The one that I recognize the most was the Television ads. My sisters and I always see them and then scream at our parents "WE GOTTA GET THIS!". Of course, our parents always say, "No, it's more work than it's worth." Now I know that they're right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen these before and I never click on them, because I know that it's not a real ad; just a joke to get people to visit their site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recognize a lot of them and I have never clicked on one knowing that it was just a scam. The one I hate the most would be the one that says, "Congatulations! You just won a brand new ipad!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I often see spam and other scams. Really you can tell sometimes if its a scam or not, even if it looks real I still don't click on it. It seems like there is way to much spam and scams out on the internet, I wish there waas some kind of tool you could use on the internet to not let them have spam.

    ReplyDelete